Functional Mushrooms have risen in popularity in recent times, and for good reason. They have been used traditionally for many years to support the body’s response to stress, energy, and to strengthen the body’s immune defences. Whether you're looking for Reishi, Lion’s Mane, Chaga, Cordyceps, or others – we have you covered.
What is a Functional Mushroom?
A Functional Mushroom is different from the portobello, or button mushrooms commonly found in your supermarket. As well as being a food source, Functional Mushrooms contain unique compounds that can be taken as a supplement to support your health and wellbeing
Functional Mushrooms are a part of our wide range of Specialty Supplements.
The Benefits of Functional Mushrooms
Functional Mushrooms contain various compounds such as Beta-Glucans – which are known for their ability to support the body’s natural defences to ills and chills. Functional Mushrooms are also known as adaptogens – which basically means that they support your body to adapt in times of increased pressure. Some of them can be a good replacement for your afternoon coffee.
Types of Functional Mushrooms
- Chaga Mushrooms were traditionally grown and used in Russia and Siberia to support a robust immune response, research has shown Chaga Mushrooms to be very high in antioxidants.
- Reishi Mushrooms are used traditionally in China, Japan and other parts of Asia to support overall health and wellbeing.
- Lions Mane Mushrooms are also grown in Asia, and provide excellent support to the brain and cognitive function.
- Cordyceps Mushrooms are found in India and South-East Asia, and are known for their energy supporting properties making them a great choice to support healthy endurance and performance.
Other Mushrooms worth getting to know include:
- Tremella, which has been used in Asia for centuries to support youthful vitality, recent research has confirmed the high antioxidant levels of this fungi.
- Turkey Tail, known worldwide as a potent support for vitality and a robust immune system.
- Shiitake, a highly nutritious functional mushroom known traditionally in Japan as the ‘elixir of life’. Shiitake supports overall wellbeing and vitality.
Functional Mushrooms are available as capsules, tablets, liquids, and powders. Some formulations are designed to be either mixed in with a smoothie, added to baking like this tasty Raspberry Shroom Slice, or enjoyed as a warming hot drink.