Propolis is a compound made by bees. They collect resin from the buds of plants and mix it with enzymes to form a sticky substance high in antioxidants. With its high levels of amino acids, minerals, vitamins and flavonoids and its topical anti-bacterial properties, propolis supports the body's own immune defences.
What is Propolis?
Propolis is a compound made by bees. They collect resin from the buds of plants and mix it with enzymes to form a sticky substance high in antioxidants. Bees use propolis to repair and strengthen their hive and protect it from disease and parasitic invasion.
Propolis was one of the earliest bee products used by people as a supplement. The ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all used propolis with historical documents from the 4th century revealing that Hippocrates recommended propolis.
The Benefits of Propolis
- Propolis is a topical antibacterial that can be used topically to support healthy skin healing.
- Propolis strengthens the walls of a beehive and Propolis is thought to support the strength of mucous membranes.
- Propolis supports upper respiratory tract health.
- Propolis can support the normal detoxification of environmental toxins
- Rich in natural bioflavonoids, Propolis is great partnered with Vitamin C.
- Studies show propolis can support the body’s natural healing process for lips. Lysine is also another very supportive supplement for lip immune health.
Propolis supplements are a part of the Specialty Supplements range here at HealthPost.